Friday, June 21, 2013

A Wonderful Ride



Today as I made my way home from HH’s school, I was savoring the ride, enjoying the canopied dirt path that runs beside the water, acknowledging familiar faces, saying good morning to the children, many of whom I do not know personally but who know me.  I’ve been teaching an English AG for the last four years and I am a familiar and somewhat unusual face at school.  My white beard and the fact that I am a good 20 years older than most of the parents – 30 years older than some – set me apart from the other parents and make it easy for the children to remember me.  I love being around the kids and when they attempt to speak with me in English, I am genuinely touched.  

Looking back is something of a habit for me but there is much to look forward to and I want to be prepared for it.  So I will say goodbye to this special school when HH and his class hold their end-of-school party in a few weeks and will look forward to a few more mornings riding along the canals when he starts Gymnasium in the fall.  His new school is only a stone’s throw from his grade school; a short distance as the crow flies but a major leap forward in his development.  I don’t expect I will be accompanying him to and from school much longer.  He will enter Gymnasium as a boy but will exit as a young man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home